Moline Public Library Eliminating Fees Starting Today
The Independence Day holiday ushers in an era of independence from fines at the Moline Public Library. Beginning Wednesday, July 5, the Library will stop fining for most overdue items. By eliminating late fees, the Moline Public Library joins a larger movement among libraries to ensure free, inclusive, and equitable service for everyone.
“Moline Public Library strives to make our services accessible to all,” notes Library Director Bryon Lear. “We hope that eliminating fines for overdue materials will reduce barriers and encourage more people to use the library and check out without the fear of accumulating debt.”
Fine free does not mean responsibility free. “All items will still have due dates and patrons are still expected to return items on time, out of respect for others,” states Lear. Cardholders will still be responsible for items that are damaged or lost, or accounts sent to collections.
What to Expect Starting July 5:
* Late fines will be forgiven from Moline Public Library accounts (excluding bills for lost/damaged items and collection agency fees).
* Late fines will not be charged on most items checked out at Moline Public Library, except for passes to local attractions ($5 per day), hotspots ($5 per day), and interlibrary loans ($1 per day).
* Library users will receive notices for overdue items, at 7 days late (1st notice) and 14 days late (2nd notice).
* Once items are 21 days overdue, patron will be billed for replacement costs. These bills may be removed if the overdue items are returned in good condition.
* The Library will continue to charge replacement costs and processing fees for items that are lost or damaged.
When visiting other libraries, Moline Public Library cardholders are subject to that lender’s fees.
“If you haven’t been to the Moline Public Library in a long time, we welcome you back,” adds Circulation Coordinator Jennifer Christiansen. “We can accept returns of overdue books in good condition, renew your expired library card, and give you a fresh start with your library account.”
For more information about fine free service, please visit or contact the Circulation Services Department at the Moline Public Library, 309-524-2450.