Rock Island Public Library Coloring Kids’ Worlds With Reading This Week
Summer reading and events at the Rock Island Public Library begin the first week of June in full technicolor style with a summer reading “colorama” kickoff, a take-home pinwheel kit for kids, the start of Summer2Go events around the library bookmobile, a Friends and Family seminar with NAMI, and more.
From June 1 to July 31, Reading Colors Your World summer reading challenges and events at the Rock Island Public Library will encourage readers of all ages to be creative, try new things, explore art and color, and see the beauty of diversity.
Library summer reading programs help children and teens catch up on reading for fun, reduce summer learning loss, and connect to a lifelong pastime. The library’s summer reading contests encourage children, teens, and adults to continue reading with pre-set goals and rewards. Participants may enter and track anytime through July 31 with the library’s Beanstack site or app. A downloadable print log for all ages is also available via the Library’s website.
Library events during the first week of June include:
- Curbside Colorama Kickoff, Tuesday, June 1, from 3:30 to 6:00 pm, outside the Rock Island Downtown Library. Summer reading kits, yard games, chalk art, and Kona Ice. (Kits and yard games are also available at Southwest.) This event is for ages.
- Children’s DIY Pinwheel Kit, available starting Tuesday at Downtown, Southwest, and Mobile Libraries while supplies last. This event does not require registration.
- Facebook Live Storytime: Tuesday at 10:30 am with Miss Ranell. Stories and more for ages five and under.
- Facebook Live Teen Book Talk: Tuesday at 3:45 with Emily. Librarian book suggestions for young adult fiction and non-fiction.
- Summer2Go with Library2Go: Tuesday at Rauch Family Park (10 am to 11:30) and at Longview Park (2:30 to 3:30pm) and Thursday at Centennial Shelter Park off Big Island Road (2:30 to 3:30 pm.) Children’s Librarians bring a story and activity to do at the park around the bookmobile. This week’s event is chalk drawing.
- Family and Friends Seminar with NAMI, National Alliance for Mental Illness: Offered at 6 pm Thursday, June 3 via Zoom webinar. This informative seminar for adults offers tips and strategies to help those who are supporting friends and family members with a mental health condition. To join, register via the library website, and the Zoom participation link will be emailed.
- Children’s Facebook Live Book Talk: Friday at 10:30 am. Weekly reading suggestions for ages 7 to 12, and a sneak peek at new books in the library.
For summer reading and event details, visit www.rockislandlibrary.org. More information is also available at 309-732-READ, via the PrairieCat library app, and on library social media channels on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
All activities are open to the public and provided at no extra charge.