Genesis Health System’s “Pack the Bus’’ Drive Benefits Quad-Cities Families
Genesis Health System will help area students and families get back to normal when schools reopen.
“Pack the Bus’’ debuted two years ago as part of the Genesis anniversary celebration of 150 years of health services. The needs are even greater as families continue to recover from COVID-19 disruptions.
“The Genesis ‘Pack the Bus’ campaign will assist families and the schools again this year by providing the tools they need for learning,” said Shirley Gusta, director of the Genesis Business Intelligence Center, who is coordinating the Genesis volunteer effort. “There is never enough funding for schools to provide everything students need and with the continued challenges we face with COVID, children cannot share supplies at school.
“We hope our own Genesis employees and the general public can help fill some of the gaps in supplies.’’
Last year, even in the midst of the pandemic, the Genesis “Pack the Bus” team safely collected 10,355 school supply items with a value of $19,200. Supplies were delivered to 10 school districts. The efforts have been so successful and well received by the school districts that “Pack the Bus” returns for a third consecutive year Aug. 2-5.
“We are grateful for the generous response of Genesis employees and from the public for students and their local schools,” said Gusta. “Like last year, we anticipate families and local school districts will continue to need our support because of the continuing challenges brought by COVID-19.”
Donations will be collected at school buses parked at these locations on these dates:
- Aug. 2 at Genesis Medical Center, East Rusholme Street, Davenport, in the parking lot between the Heart Institute and Edgerton building
- Aug. 3 at Genesis Medical Center, West Central Park, Davenport, on the north side/West Central Park Avenue parking lot
- Aug. 4 at Genesis Medical Center, Silvis, in the corner of the main parking lot
- Aug. 5 at North Scott Foods, Eldridge
Supplies will be collected each day between 7:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. Infection prevention and social distancing will be practiced.
Monetary gifts to “Pack the Bus” can be made at bit.ly/GenesisPackTheBus.
Genesis Health System, Durham School Services, Two Men and a Truck, Staples and North Scott Foods are sponsors.
Here are items requested by the schools:
- AAA Batteries
- Art Brushes
- Backpacks (girl/boy/generic)
- Binders (3-Ring)
- Bleach Wipes
- Colored Pencils
- Dry Erase Markers
- Facial Tissues
- 2 Pocket Folders (Plastic or Paper)
- Glue Sticks
- Hand Sanitizer
- Headphones, No Ear Buds
- Liquid Glue – Elmer’s
- Mechanical Pencils
- #2 Pencils & Pencil Boxes
- Individual Pencil Sharpeners
- Note Cards
- Ink Pens (black, blue and red)
- Scotch Tape
- Spiral Notebooks – Wide Lined
- Tabbed Dividers for 3 Ring Binders
- Washable Markers
- Zip Lock Bags