Illinois Congresswoman Bustos Votes For Additional Support for Ukraine, Afghan Refugees
Congresswoman Cheri Bustos (IL-17) voted to pass a bipartisan Continuing Resolution to keep the government funded through December 16th and provide additional support to Ukrainian and Afghan refugees. The package also includes relief for Florida, New Mexico, Puerto Rico, Alaska and other communities hit by natural disasters.
“Ukraine is mounting a robust response to Russian aggression and it’s vital that we continue supporting them as they fight to protect their people and democracy,” said Congresswoman Bustos. “Today, I voted to pass legislation to keep our government funded while providing much-needed support to the Ukrainian people, Afghan refugees and communities here at home that have been impacted by recent natural disasters. I’m glad this package passed with bipartisan support in the House and Senate.”
The Continuing Resolution includes a number of key priorities, including:
- $12.3 billion to power the fight for freedom in Ukraine, including new security, economic and humanitarian assistance;
- Up to $3 billion to continue resettling brave Afghan evacuees;
- Billions in relief for New Mexico, Puerto Rico, Florida, Alaska and other communities hit by natural disasters, especially in the wake of Hurricane Ian;
- More resources to respond to the water crisis in Jackson, Mississippi: an emergency that poses a direct threat to the health and well-being of Mississippi families;
- Bolstering funding for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program: this will help working families pay for higher energy bills as we enter the winter months; and
- Five-year reauthorization of FDA user fees: ensuring no interruption to the FDA’s life-saving work reviewing and approving new prescription drugs coming to market.