Quad-Cities Piano Students Awarded in 37th-Annual Classical Competition
The Federated Music Teachers Association of the Quad-Cities recently held its 37th Annual Classical Piano Competition, with submissions turned in by video and instead of judged in person.
The Federated Music Teachers Association (FMTA) – part of the 122-year-old National Federation of Music Clubs — is a group of local music teachers that runs a Classical Festival one year, alternating with a Baroque Festival the following year. In the Classical Piano Festival, entrants needed to perform one sonata or sonatina from the Classical period (1750-1820) and depending on their level, a second piece of their choice.
In the first stage, the finalists are chosen by the piano pedagogy doctoral students from the University of Iowa. In normal years, the finals are held live at West Music in front of an audience and a judge. This year, however, due to Covid, the finalists had to make videos of themselves and the judge, Dr. Joan Trapp, had three days to pick the winners.
There were 46 total entrants. Finalists were chosen by recorded auditions to appear in the virtual performances of the Elementary, Intermediate and Senior Divisions.
Trapp is a native Iowan, raised in Cedar Falls. She completed her bachelor and master’s degrees at Northwestern University and her doctorate at the University of Iowa. She taught in the music department at St. Ambrose University for 38 years. In addition to teaching, practice and performance have been part of Trapp’s life for nearly 60 years. She has
performed with colleagues from St. Ambrose and with many community music ensembles over the years.
The following students were named winners, including honorable mentions and their teachers listed in parentheses.
- Jackson Havercamp (Davenport) – 1st place (Roberta Quist, Davenport)
- Madeline O’Malley (Bettendorf) – 2nd place (Roberta Quist, Davenport)
- Paige McMann (Eldridge) – 3rd place (Roberta Quist, Davenport)
- Eugene Chan (Bettendorf) – Honorable Mention (Perry Mears, Davenport)
- Annabelle Pettersen (Bettendorf) – HM (Roberta Quist, Davenport)
- Claire Pfeiffer (Bettendorf) – HM (Kay Basham, Bettendorf)
- Jack Stremlow (Davenport) – 1st place (Marian Lee, Davenport)
- Linda Phan (Bettendorf) — 2nd place (Marian Lee, Davenport)
- Xin-Yan Chan (Bettendorf) — 3rd place (Perry Mears, Davenport)
- Timothy Ku (Bettendorf) – HM (Marian Lee, Davenport)
- Molly Isaacson (Davenport) – HM (Roberta Quist, Davenport)
- Zach McMann (Eldridge) – HM (Roberta Quist, Davenport)
- Quentin Fonseca (Rock Island) — 1st place (Marian Lee, Davenport)
- Nathan Hummel (Davenport) — 2nd place (Roberta Quist, Davenport)
- Sarah Eckert (Davenport) — 3rd place (Roberta Quist, Davenport)
- Matthew Dorang (Bettendorf) – HM (Perry Mears, Bettendorf)
- Erika Holmberg (Bettendorf) – HM (Laura Crumbleholme, Moline)
- Emma Nelson (Bluegrass) – HM (Vanessa Jewell, Bettendorf)
The 2020 Festival sponsors were Quad City Symphony Orchestra, West Music, Griggs Music, Augustana College, Linda and Don Allebach, Richard and Kay Patterson, Roberta Quist, Kay Basham, Richard Sessler, and Darlene Steffen.
For more information on FMTA, visit http://qcmusicteachers.org.