Summer Reading Lifts Off Into New Galaxies of Fun At RIPL
The library’s 2019 Summer Reading Challenges are open to all ages, including children, teens, and adults. All feature goal-oriented reading missions, incentives, and more. Participants may enter and track their reading progress either with paper forms or online through the library’s Beanstack software or app. The children’s reading challenge ranges from Read-to-Me ages to 6th grades.
“No set reading list is required, so these reading challenges provide great opportunities to read for fun and escapism. Explore the wonders of the universe and learn about the space race, or try a new author. We offer a whole galaxy of options,” said Lisa Lockheart, Rock Island Public Library publicity liaison.
The challenges include incremental goals to keep readers motivated along the way.
Mission goals vary by age, and include:
- Children, preschool to sixth grades: Tracking 24 books or 6 hours of reading time. with prize levels every 8 books or 2 hours.
- Teens, ages 12 to 18: Reading up to 1,000, with prize levels every 250 minutes;
- Adults, 19 and up: Reading up to seven books over the summer, with prizes at 4 and 7 books.
Registration for “A Universe of Stories” is ongoing, with all reading challenges concluding by July 31, 2019.
Special events at the library from June 10 to June 14 include:
- Monday, June 10 at 10 am, Downtown Library: Chasing the Moon, a special preview and discussion of the upcoming American Experience about the space race. Chasing the Moon airs July 8-19 on Iowa Public Television and later in July on WQPT Quad Cities PBS, just in time of the 50th anniversary of the first moonwalk.
- Monday, June 10 at 3:00 pm, Downtown: Absolute Science Mega Levitator show for all ages, featuring magnetic, chemical and electrical energy demos and interactive experiments.
- Tuesday, June 11 at 10:30 am, 30/31 Library: Petite Picassos, art and story for ages five and under.
- Tuesday, June 11, 6:00 pm, Southwest Library: Craft night for all ages, registration required.
- Wednesday, June 12 at 10:30 am, Southwest Library: Ready Jet Go! Storytime with WQPT Quad Cities PBS. Go to the moon with Mr. Chuck!
- Wednesday, June 12 at 2:00 pm, Downtown Library: World War II lecture on the invasion of Normandy.
- Thursday, June 13 at 5:30 pm, Downtown: SEW Much Fun t-shirt pillow craft. Registration required.
- Thursday, June 13 at 5:30 pm, 30/31 Library: BTS Anniversary Party, activities and fun for fans of the band. Registration Required.
- Friday, June 14 at 10:30 am, Downtown: Toddler Tales Storytime, stories and fun for ages five and under.
- Friday, June 14 at 1:00 pm, Southwest: Teen Cupcake Wars decorating challenge for ages 12 to 18.
For more details or to register, please see the library online calendar at www.rockislandlibrary.org.
Participation in the reading challenge is not required to attend library events.
For more information, call 309-732-READ or visit our website, www.rockislandlibrary.org.