Looking For Cool Stuff To Do With The Kids Over Spring Break?
The Rock Island/Milan School Break may be one week shorter than usual, but there are still plenty of things for kids, families and adults to do at Rock Island Libraries.
Checking out a culture pass to the Putnam Museum, Figge Art Museum, German-American Heritage Center or the Quad City Botanical Center is one option for a no-cost family getaway. The library also checks out family games and learning puzzles at its Downtown Library, 401 19th Street, and a collection of video game titles at all locations. Library visitors will also find a wide range of books, music, and movies, in both physical and digital formats.
A wide selection of library events for all ages will also add some fun and learning to your week. Free library events for children and families between March 11 and 18 include:
- Lego Build Days: Mondays, March 11 and 18, 9:00 to Noon, Rock Island Downtown Library Children’s Room. Drop in to create a piece of LEGO-brand brick art for displaying in the library. Preschooler to grade 6, free, no registration needed.
- Petite Picassos: Hands-on creation experience for ages five and under includes a story and an art project. 10:30 am, Tuesday, March 12 at the Rock Island 30/31 Library, 3059 30th Street. Free, no registration needed.
- Southwest Craft Night: 6:00 pm, Tuesday, March 12, Rock Island Southwest Library, 9010 Ridgewood Road. Think spring by making a paper-cut spring bouquet. Free, materials supplied, registration required. Sign up at www.rockislandlibrary.org or call 309-732-7338.
- Art with the Figge, 4:00 pm, Wednesday, March 13, Rock Island Downtown Library, Children’s Room. Special art program for kids and teens from the Figge’s Art and Artists series. Hands on art lesson highlights the spring exhibit, Animals in the Museum. School age (Grades K- 6 and Teens ages 12 to 18)
Events for adults during the same time frame include:
- Coffee And a Movie Morning, Monday, March 11, 9:30 am to noon, Rock Island Downtown Library. Showing a classic baseball movie from 1989 about a washed up baseball player in the twilight of his career. Rated R for language.
- Begin Genealogy Here, 1:30 pm, March 11, Downtown Library, Historical Room. Tour of the resources available at the Downtown Library for use by people beginning a search for ancestors and/or possible relatives.
- World War II Lecture, 2:00 pm, Wednesday, March 13.Talk by an Arsenal historian on American Strategic Bombing Campaign USAAF/Raid on Berlin. Rock Island Downtown Library
- RUN! BTS ARMY, 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm, Wednesday, March 13, Rock Island 30/31 Library. View a mystery episode from RUN! BTS, the variety show of the Korean group, BTS, and complete a fun activity challenge. Teens and adults. Reservation: sign up online or call the library.
- SEW Much Fun, 5:30 to 7:30 pm, Thursday, March 14, Downtown Library. Make a spring basket out of fabric and ribbon. Limited availability; register online or call the library.
- Book A Librarian for Tech Help, 9:00 am to 10:30 am, Friday, March 15, 30/31 Library. Sign up for a half-hour help session with a Reference Librarian. Register by calling the library.
For more information about Rock Island Library services, events, and more, visit www.rockislandlibrary.org, call 309-732-READ, or follow the library’s social media sites.